Skip to main content

The greatest testimony I ever heard

One of my friends stood in front of the church to share his testimony. As he began to share a few of us were sat together and our jaws were hitting the floor. We had known our friend for a few years but had never known anything about his history (just how little we knew soon became clear). When you met him, he struck you as one of those clean-cut people. You know, one of those who had had a happy childhood, never went off the rails and who even kept off the grass if the sign told him too.

 

But that was not the testimony he was sharing with us now. It seemed like every evil I could imagine (and some that I couldn’t) had been his history. From drugs to prostitution, from abuse to academic failure. With each new revelation we, his friends, were more shocked. As he started each new episode with the simple phrase, ‘God saved me from a life of …’ we had to agree, God had truly redeemed him from that life, he was definitely free.

 

I’m not sure how long his testimony went on for. It felt like it was around half an hour because of the enormity of the revelations. In reality it was probably less than ten minutes before he finished. How could we have known so little about him? Why didn’t we ask more before?

 

Finally, this shocking testimony of God’s absolute redemption came to an end. I will never forget the final words he spoke: ‘God saved me from all these things. God saved me from them so much that I never went anywhere near them. This is my testimony: I was raised in a Christian home, I gave my life to Jesus when I was four years old and I have been following him faithfully ever since.’

 

This was the greatest testimony I’ve ever heard. Don’t get me wrong, I rejoice with every person that God has redeemed from the gutter of society, the entrapments of satan and the blindness of a worldview without God. Each of our stories is a story of God’s redeeming and restoring grace. But greater still is the testimony of a life consistently lived for God through every season. 

 

Thank God for the Mary Magdalene’s who find Christ, but thank God also for those in the church who are like Samuel: 1 Samuel 2:26 says, And the child Samuel grew in stature, and in favour both with the Lord and men. Towards the end of his life we read, 1 Samuel 12:2-3 I am old and grey, and my sons are here with you. I have been your leader since I was young. Here I am. If I have done anything wrong, you must testify against me before the Lord and his appointed king.

 

Which testimony would you want for your children? I know what I am praying for, for mine.

 

So this comes to my next point. Your testimony is good and needs to be shared. Whatever your testimony is, I hope you are sharing it with your children and the next generation around you. You may not feel like your testimony is exciting enough to be turned into a movie, or that it warrants you travelling around the world to share with all. But I know which testimony I want for my children.


In writing this, my wife and I took time to share our testimonies with our children again. We realised it had been a while since we had done this. What a wonderful rich conversation we had together.

 

Why not share your testimony with your children today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wot No School?

With the recent announcement from the UK government of the closure of schools for all but essential workers, we know some parents are dreading the practical implications of what this will mean for their family. While I am sure some parents will be delighting in the prolonged holiday together many parents are wondering how they can help keep their children’s education moving forward and continue working from home as well. As a parent who works from home and who has also schooled our children at home over several years I hope the following will be of help. 1) Don’t panic In times of uncertainty it is easy to panic as we try to work out how things will work. Our attitude should not be one of panic, but one of trust and faith in God. He will bring us through this time stronger and more ready to bring His kingdom to the world. When you take this attitude, your children will pick up on it and find the same strength in the Lord. 2) Do structure It would be easy to let the da

John Alexander Dowie faces the plague in the 19th century.

Excerpt from God’s Generals for kids volume 3 - John Alexander Dowie By Roberts Liardon & Olly Goldenberg  Soon after John arrived in Newton a plague swept through the region. People were becoming sick, coughing and dying all around. People were dying so quickly when they got the plague that there seemed to be no escape and they were very afraid. John had ministered at forty funerals in just a few weeks. It looked like the only reason he was there was to bury the dead people. John sat in his study and thought about the situation. Thirty more of his congregation was sick and dying. Where was God? He was praying for the people to be healed, but it seemed like God just didn’t want to answer. John knew that God could heal people, so why wasn’t God doing it. Sickness was winning. Death was destroying lives and there was no one there to deliver people. John sat at his desk, his head hung down into his hands as great sobs shook his body and tears poured like a river down his face

The Sin of Hezekiah

As we drill into 7 different sins from parents in the Bible, I hope that these will serve as guard rails for us as we raise our children not to make us feel weighed down, but rather to free us to do what is right without caring what others think about our decisions because we are seeking to follow God’s leading in the way we raise our children. The model king Hezekiah was a great king. He led the nation of Judah in very trying times and through all of this we read that he ‘did what was right in the sight of the Lord’ (2 Kings 18:3). Indeed, God’s opinion of Hezekiah is great. He inspired the writers of 2 Kings 18 to say about him, ‘Hezekiah trusted the Lord God of Israel. No other king of Judah was like Hezekiah, either before or after him. 6 He was completely faithful to the Lord and obeyed the laws the Lord had given to Moses for the people. 7 The Lord helped Hezekiah, so he was successful in everything he did. He even rebelled against the king of Assyria, refusing to be his servant.